Classes at K-10 Dog Training, no matter the age of your dog, focus on building a solid positive relationship between you and your pet. The course of classes use methods backed by science and focus on life skills that most dog owners desire of their canine companions. There is also one-on-one instruction for owners dealing with dogs with problem behaviors. Whether you are building new desired behaviors or you need help modifying unwanted ones, there is something for you at K-10.
There is a one-time orientation class intended for just dog owners which is required prior to taking a class at K-10. This class gives you the tools to start building that solid positive relationship with your dog. This one-hour class is free to anyone who continues on to another class offered at K-10.
“Start Them Out Right” Puppy Class
Start your puppy out right with a program that meets the requirements of the American Kennel Club (AKC) S.T.A.R Puppy Program and more. This six week program is for puppies up to 16 weeks of age. S.T.A.R. stands for Socialization, Training, Activity and a Responsible Owner which are all things a puppy needs. Puppies should have at least their second round of vaccinations prior to starting this class. This class is important for new puppies because early socialization done right leads to confident adult dogs.
In her article “Puppy Socialization: Stop Fear Before it Starts”, Dr. Sophia Yin states “From about 3 weeks to about 3 months of age, puppies are primed for bonding to other animals and individuals, for learning that objects, people, and environments are safe, and for learning what the body cues and signals of others mean. It is their sensitive period for socialization and it is the most important socialization period in a dog’s life. Puppies who do not get adequate socialization during this period tend to be fearful of unfamiliar people, or dogs, or sounds, objects and environments.”
During this class:
- Your puppy will learn to focus on you as his/her primary source of all good things.
- Along with this focus, this class will teach behaviors such as sit, and down as well as the foundation steps for a future solid recall (or come when called).
- We also discuss solutions to common puppy issues like crate training, nipping, chewing and potty training.
- Puppies will have an opportunity to socialize with people and other dogs in a safe environment.
- You will be given instructions on reading dog body language and things to watch for as your puppy matures.
- We will discuss the importance of management to help preclude unwanted habits from developing.
- You will learn how to further effectively socialize your puppy to new experiences outside of the classroom. This will help him/her to grow up to be a confident and well-adjusted adult.
According to the AKC, “Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including housetraining, chewing and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® program.” More information about the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program can be found at http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/akc-star-puppy/.
A Foundation to Build On
This four week class is intended for dogs over 16 weeks of age who are up-to-date on required vaccinations. This course of study an excellent next step after the completion of the Start Them Out Right Puppy Class or it can be his/her first exposure to structured training no matter his/her age – Yes old dogs can learn new tricks.
The class consists of six private lesson at our facility where you and your dog focus on learning life skills with minimal distractions during class time.
- Private lessons provide the time for one-on-one attention to you and your dog’s individual needs.
- Canine students can then begin to master basic skills such as focus on you, sit, down, polite greeting, polite walking, go to mat and/or kennel up and stay.
- You will also learn emergency recall which could be life saving for your dog.
- Distance and duration will be added to learned skills as the canine student progresses at his/her own pace.
- As time permits, we will also begin to work on shaping and capturing skills so that you can begin to teach your dog additional desired behaviors just for fun.
Fun With New Behaviors – Level 1
Prerequisite – Both you and your dog must be familiar with clicker / marker training.
This class will take you and your dog on a fun adventure with the marvels of clicker/marker training. In a previous class, you likely saw that “ah-ha” moment when your dog realized what you wanted and happily did it. Now we are taking it to the next level. We will stress training “clean” to help you clearly communicate your desires to your dog. We will use tools such as Capture, Shaping and Targeting to teach your dog new behaviors such as Duration Attention, Stand Front, Stand Side and Heel. We will also strengthen known behaviors like Sit, Down and Stand by adding duration and distance. And we will play – inventing fun new behaviors that build on those foundation skills.
This class will be starting in September, 2017.
American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Prep Class & Testing
The American Kennel Club (AKC)® Canine Good Citizen (CGC)® Prep class prepares you and your dog to pass the AKC CGC test. According to the AKC, “… the CGC Program is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.”
- The six week AKC CGC Prep class practices the requirements of the CGC Test and focuses on areas that need additional practice.
- The course culminates with the test on the final week.
- Owners who feel their dogs are ready for testing may opt to take just the test on week six.
- Find out more information about the AKC Canine Good Citizen test at http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/.
American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Testing
This is for students that are ready to take the AKC CGC Test. Testing will be scheduled as needed. Find out more information about the AKC Canine Good Citizen test at http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/.
Testing the Foundation
This class is intended for dogs who have successfully completed either the Foundation to Build On class or the AKC CGC Class or equivalent. All dogs must be people friendly to attend and up to date on required vaccinations.
- This four week class tests those foundation behaviors by adding the distraction of other dogs and people which helps to further strengthen them.
- Whenever possible, we will take this class out of the class room so your dog is exposed to a variety of distractions – again to work toward perfecting those life skills.
- As time permits, we will work on capturing and shaping new behaviors – just for fun.
It’s Your Call
This five week class is an advanced class for those of you who have successfully completed the Testing the Foundation class or equivalent. In this class we work on what you want. Each student submits the behavior(s) of choice and the class is built around teaching those behaviors.
Canine Problem Solving
Some dogs have behaviors that are simply annoying while others exhibit behaviors that have the potential to be dangerous. Using a combination of counter-conditioning and desensitization along with positive reinforcement, time and patience, dogs can overcome fears and anxieties that lead to aggressive displays. They can also learn alternative acceptable behaviors to replace problem ones. Don’t suffer through it alone – contact us for one-on-one help.